Archive for April, 2012|Monthly archive page
Membership of the Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana is increasing with over 330 paid members in our 37th year since 1976. The monthly unique visitor numbers to our web site continues to increase. Annual membership fees and donations help fund our web sites and growing online social media presence.
- We offer monthly education programs September through May, a monthly Computer Interest Group and genealogy workshops at the Allen County Public Library.
- We have an Annual June Banquet where we award First Family, direct descendant of a pioneer who settled in Allen County, Indiana before December 31, 1850, and Homesteaders, direct descendant of a pioneer who settled in Allen County between January 1, 1851 and December 31, 1875, Certification.
- We have both public and members only information on our web site www.acgsi.org.
- We are currently indexing the 1940 Census which will have an individual link for each name to the census image.
- We snail mail members a printed quarterly publication The Allen County Lines which is then posted online in the members only section of our ACGSI website.
- Our social media pages include over 470 Fans on Facebook, Google+ (ACGSI), Twitter (@ACGSI), and this What’s Going On @ ACGSI blog.
- We host Allen INGenWeb one of the 92 Indiana county sites of INGenWeb.
- We collaborate with the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center by recruiting member volunteers when they host state and national seminars, look up obituary requests for copying then mailing, provide various indexing and scanning projects that go into books on the library shelves and online digital databases for their website or ours.
Feel free to offer ideas for our monthly education programs, suggest guest speakers, workshop topics, contribute genealogy information for our web sites and the library shelves, volunteer your time, or offer financial donations to fund our genealogy projects.
Thank you for visiting our blog and for your support.
Visitors Always Welcome! 6:30 p.m. refreshments and social time, 7:00 p.m. genealogy program in Meeting Room A at the Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, Indiana
Tips, clues and methods to help one find War of 1812 military service records and how to overcome the lack of information using the many available resources at the Allen County Public Library.
Marge Graham has 29 years genealogy experience and has been a member of ACGSI for twenty seven years. She has served in many leadership roles including president of ACGSI and is the Northeast District Director for Indiana Genealogical Society. In 2006, Marge became the Allen County Genealogist for the Indiana Genealogical Society. She has taught at St. Francis University. In 2009, Marge received the Certificate of Excellence Award from the IGS and also received the Distinguished Service Award from the Federation of Genealogical Societies.
See our Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana brochure for the rest of our monthly educational genealogy programs.